Do missing, chipped or unsightly teeth have you feeling as though your smile is too far gone to repair? If so, you don’t have to give up on your smile yet. Restorative dentistry could help you get your smile back, boost your confidence and make you feel great about your grin again. Find out more with help from your Downingtown, PA dentist at Chestnut Dental Associates.
What is restorative dentistry?
Restorative dentistry procedures restore the structure of a damaged or weakened tooth, providing a normal appearance and proper chewing surface. Teeth are most often damaged due to tooth decay or trauma to the tooth. Additionally, old restorations may wear down or become damaged over time, requiring replacement.
What can restorative dentistry do for me?
Restorative dentistry is versatile, with many procedures available. Some popular restorative dentistry procedures offered by your Downingtown dentist include:
- Fillings: Dental fillings are usually made from tooth-colored composite materials, though other options like silver amalgam and gold are available. A filling is most common when your dentist removes a cavity from a tooth. The composite materials fill and seal off the tooth, preventing further infection.
- Bridges: Dental bridges replace a missing tooth. The bridge itself is essentially a row of false teeth which attach to the surrounding natural teeth using either dental crowns or metal clasps. Bridges also keep the surrounding teeth from moving to compensate for the gap between them.
- Crowns: Crowns cover a weakened or damaged tooth to stabilize, protect and strengthen it. Crowns are often used after root canal therapy or to protect the tooth after a large filling.
- Implants: Dental implants replace a missing tooth’s root. A tiny titanium post surgically implanted into the jawbone beneath the missing tooth integrates into the bone over time. This provides a sturdy foundation for a dental crown, which fits over the implant and replaces the tooth itself.
- Dentures: For patients missing all of the teeth on an arch, traditional or implant-supported dentures replace the whole arch of teeth. Depending on the type of denture, they may be permanent or removable.
For more information on restorative dentistry procedures to help you love your smile, please contact Dr. Carl J. Horchos at Chestnut Dental Associates in Downingtown, PA. Call (484) 364-4292 to speak with an associate about scheduling your consultation for restoration dental procedures today!